Publication Ethics and Publication Malpractice Statement
Funding of the JAS publication is exclusively from the Sabaragamuwa University funds. Also research funders should be acknowledged by the authors on all research papers.
The Journal of Agricultural Sciences publishes only original works of the authors that have not been published earlier either in printed format or electronically. All authors of manuscripts submitted to the JAS must confirm that neither the manuscript nor any part of it, regardless of the language in which it was originally written or published, has been published or is under consideration for publication or accepted for publication elsewhere. Further, authors are expected to be knowledgeable of and comply with best practice in publication ethics specifically with regard to authorship, dual submission, plagiarism, manipulation of figures, competing interests and compliance with policies on research ethics.
Authors should be followed applicable copyright laws and conventions. Copyright material should be reproduced only with appropriate permission and acknowledgement. Relevant previous work and publications, both by other researchers and the authors’ own, should be properly acknowledged and referenced. The primary literature should be cited both in the text and in the reference list. Authors should inform editors if findings have been published previously or if multiple reports or multiple analyses of a single data set are under consideration for publication elsewhere. Authors should provide copies of related publications or work submitted to other journals.
Copy rights of the published papers are with the authors and JAS takes the responsibility of publishing the manuscript only. Editors of JAS is devoted not to make any kind of discrimination to the authors on the grounds of gender, age, experience, social status, occupation, sexual orientation, working institution, colour of the skin, religious or political beliefs, ethnic or geographical origin. All the papers published by the JAS are solely on merit basis.
The Journal of Agricultural Sciences - Sri Lanka is a double blind peer reviewed journal dedicated to ensuring the highest values of publication ethics. All stakeholders of the journal such as the Editors, Authors, Reviewers and Publishers have to agree upon the total ethical behavior in this context. The Publication Ethics and Publication Malpractices of The Journal of Agricultural Sciences- Sri Lanka (JASSL) are based on the Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors of the Committee on Publication Ethics – COPE. (https://publicationethics.org/)
Responsibilities of the Editor in Chief and the Coordinating Editors
- Making initial evaluation of the manuscripts exclusively on the basis of their academic and intellectual merit, without considering the author(s)’ race, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin, religious belief, citizenship, political orientation or social class.
- Deciding which of the manuscripts submitted to the journal should be sent for reviewers’ evaluation following the initial evaluation based upon the policies and authors’ guidelines of the journal and legal requirements with regard to vilification, copyright infringement and plagiarism.
- Ensuring appropriate peer reviewers are selected to evaluate the manuscripts.
- Guaranteeing a fair and unbiased double-blind peer review of the manuscripts and ensure all information related to the authors and reviewers are kept confidential and to ensure both authors’ and peer reviewers’ identities are secured.
- Provision of direction and guidance to members of the Editorial Board, authors and reviewers on their responsibilities and ethical expectations and also on the description of peer review processes.
- Developing and maintaining a database of appropriate reviewers and updating of the same on the basis of reviewer competence, punctuality and responsiveness.
Responsibilities of the Editorial Board
- Ensuring the maintenance of overall quality of the journal.
- Assuring the international standards of both online and print publications of the journal by providing opinions to the executive editors of the journal.
- Making a set of clear guidelines available for authors with regard to subject area of the journal and the overall design of the issues.
- Establishing the journal policy and ensure the implementation of it.
- Assisting to ensure the international recognition and acceptance of the journal
- Ensuring the implementation of publication ethics of the journal by all the stakeholders
Responsibilities of the Authors
- Authors should not submit the same manuscript simultaneously to more than one publication at a time. This is found to be an unethical publishing behavior and is obnoxious.
- Authors must ensure and declare that their work is original and that any work or statement from other authors or sources has been appropriately acknowledged and referenced.
- Manuscripts submitted by authors for publication in JASSL must be original articles and need to confirm that the submitted works represent their own contributions and that they have not been copied or plagiarized in whole or partially from others’ work and such must not be included with no clear cited sources.
- Authors should cite publications that are relevant to the submitted work only.
- Should understand and act towards the fact that plagiarism in all its forms that exhibits unethical publishing behavior is unacceptable.
- Authors need to submit a written statement that clearly states the manuscript has not been published elsewhere in any form of publishing.
- Authorship should be comprised with those who have made a significant contribution to the planning, designing, implementation or interpretation of the relevant research or study. All those who have made significant contributions should be listed as co-authors.
- Main author and corresponding author must take all the responsibilities in ensuring all the ethical considerations of the journal.
- Main author and corresponding author with the journal should ensure that all appropriate co-authors are included in the list of authors of the manuscript. Total consensus of all co-authors in approving the final version of the paper and its submission for publication should be ensured.
- All sources of financial support of the work submitted to the journal should be disclosed and acknowledged.
- All the responsibilities with regard to the published material are vested upon the main author and co authors.
- The journal is freely available online. Authors should agree with the open access policy which enables unrestricted access and reuse of all published articles. The articles are published under the Creative Commons Copyright License Policy CC BY-SA. This license permits users to use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided it is licensed under the same terms and the original work is properly cited.
Responsibilities of the Reviewers
- Peer reviewers should assist especially the Editor in Chief and Coordinating Editor, and Editorial committee whenever necessary, in making editorial decisions by submitting their recommendations on eligibility and relevance of the manuscripts for publication.
- Manuscripts received for review must be treated as confidential documents and should not be discussed on their content with outside parties and should not be multiplied in any form.
- If a selected particular reviewer is not competent to review a given manuscript or knows that the timely review of the same will be impossible, should immediately inform to the Editor in Chief and Coordinating Editor without delay, enabling Executive Editors towards calling an alternative reviewer.
- Reviewers are requested to report to the Editors, if they are aware of copyright breach and plagiarism on the author’s side.
- Reviewers must strictly evaluate the manuscripts, only based on content, without imagining the author’s race, age, gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, religious belief, citizenship, political orientation or social class.
- Peer review must be done very objectively, with a clear logic, so that authors can use them for improving the paper.
- Reviewers should not consider any manuscript for reviewing in which they have conflicts of interest resulting from competitive, collaborative or other relationships or connections with any of the authors, establishments or institutions connected to the manuscripts.
Responsibilities of the Publishers
Publisher of the Journal of Agricultural Sciences- Sri Lanka is the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences of the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka
- To ensure and secure the autonomy of the decisions of Editorial Board.
- To protect the intellectual property rights, privacy of the authors and copy rights.
- To assist the Editorial Board to maintain the overall quality of the journal.
- To provide necessary logistic support to Executive Editors to maintain publication ethics of the journal.
Indexing of Journal of Agricultural Sciences
The Journal of Agricultural Sciences is indexed in the following databases:
Summon Serial Titles (page number 2084)
The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL)
AGRIS: International Information System for the Agricultural Sciences and Technology
Journals for Free
Dayang Journal System
Zurich Open Repository and Archive Journal Data Base